Monday, September 27, 2010

Touch

Matt. 8:2-3, "A man with leprosy came and knelt before him and said, 'Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean.' Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. 'I am willing,' he said. 'Be clean!' Immediately he was cured of his leprosy."

These verses tell us that Jesus did an amazing thing--He touched a leper. Lepers were considered untouchable. They were required to cry out in a loud voice, "Unclean, unclean," if anyone approached them so no one would touch them and become lepers themselves.

I read about a doctor who had a new patient with an ugly looking skin disease. The physician said to a friend of his, "Watch. This man will love me because I will touch him," and the patient responded very positively to the doctor's touch.

Many times when Jesus healed someone, He first touched the person who was made well.

Think about running into your mother's embrace for comfort when you were hurt as a child. Remember how cool and comforting her fingers felt on your forehead when you had a fever. There is comfort and healing in the human touch.

Since I now live alone, I am conscious of the absence of touch in my life. If I came to church for one reason alone, it would be worth the trip. Every Sunday morning a man who is many years younger than I gives me a wonderful friendly hug, and I look forward to it every week.

Our world is becoming increasingly more impersonal. Where we used to sit on the front porch after supper and visit face to face, now we even bypass the telephone to email or text each other. May we remember the healing power of the human touch. May we visit each other face to face and, when appropriate, give a hug or a handshake or a friendly pat on the back.

Heavenly Father, thank You that You have touched each of us, and we are different because of it. May we make a positive difference in the lives of others we meet because we are willing to reach out and touch them as You have touched us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment