Sunday, September 12, 2010

One Stitch at a Time


"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path."  Psalm 119:105


I have recently begun a new knitting project. The doll blanket I am making has to be knitted one stitch at a time. As tedious as the process is, there are no short cuts.

God teaches us "line upon line and precept upon precept." How often I have wanted to have instant wisdom. I have also wished I could unscrew my children's heads, poke lots of wisdom and understanding in their brains, and then screw their heads back on, but it doesn't work that way. It takes time to gain wisdom and understanding and maturity. It is gained bit by bit, experience by experience. It is not an automatic process, but it comes with studying and meditating on and applying God's Word. My mother-in-law used to quote this saying, "Live and learn and die a fool at last."

If we want to live and learn and be wise at the end of our lives, we will major on the Scriptures. Psalm 119:98-100 tells us this is what studying the Bible will do for us, "Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me. I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes. I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts."



Father, may we say with the psalmist, "I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word." Psa. 119:15-16

No comments:

Post a Comment