Monday, January 16, 2012

The Privilege of Prayer

James 4:2b, "You do not have, because you do not ask God."

I have been journaling recently, and I have found that it is very beneficial to me spiritually. Almost every day I include some prayer requests about my greatest concerns that day. As I have looked back at some of my journal entries, I have realized that God has answered a number of my recent prayers. Things I have "temporarily misplaced" but needed badly have reappeared. Things I needed to do but couldn't seem to manage have been accomplished. There have been improvements in areas where I have prayed for others.

When I fail to pray about my days I operate in my power, and that's similar to riding a bicycle. I don't go too fast or too far, and I get awfully tired and often frustrated. On the days that I pray and commit everything to God, it's more like riding in a car. The power is God's power; I go faster and farther; the ride is much smoother; and I feel so much more serene inside.

All too often I have been guilty of needlessly living in the poverty of prayerlessness when God offers us such wonderful invitations as these: Hebrews 4:16, "Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." Philippians 4:6-7, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." James 5:16b, "The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results."

Father, You have given us the wonderful privilege of communication with You. May I not waste this great gift but use it and benefit from it every day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment