Monday, January 9, 2012

Goals

Philippians 3:13b-14, "One thing I do; forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

During our lifetimes we set, and fulfill, many goals. Some goals are central and other are peripheral--from very important to almost negligible. Have you ever tried to record your goals for the next year, for the next ten years, and for the rest of your life? This practice helps us focus on what is of utmost importance. It's a good idea to set long term goals and then short term goals which will enable us to accomplish our long term goals, steps along the way to doing or becoming what we desire.

It's very easy for us to become distracted from our goals. If we have a goal of losing a few pounds, along comes December with Christmas and party food and candy and cookies. Suppose we have a goal of exercising for thirty minutes a day. If we are sore from exercising yesterday or it is raining when we wake up or we get several early morning phone calls with things that need to be done right away, it's all too easy to let the exercise time slide by that day. It's the same way with daily quiet time. The urgent can push out the important things in our lives. No doubt you have heard the saying that "The good is often enemy of the best." It's amazing how many good things I can accomplish while trying to avoid the one best thing I should be doing.

I have one goal that is primary for me, and that is to do God's will for my life. Our enemy throws many distractions in my path, and I am all too often lured away, but my real desire is to serve God and to see other people come to know Christ and to grow spiritually. I must keep focusing on that goal and not become distracted or settle for lesser goals. What are your most important goals? What do you want to accomplish above all else?

Father, keep our eyes focused on doing Your will. Keep us from being lured away from it by distractions. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment