Sunday, October 9, 2011

Food

I Peter 2:2, “Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation."

Somehow, I've become addicted to three meals a day, and I consider in between snacks a real serendipity. One of my favorite slogans is, "A day without chocolate is like a day without sunshine." If I go too long without food my blood sugar begins to drop, and I start feeling weak, trembly, hungry, and grouchy. Securing food becomes my major focus, and I do not stop until I am successful.

Hopefully I have also become addicted to my daily quiet time--to taking in God's Word, to reading some inspirational devotional thoughts, and to conversing with my Heavenly Father. If I neglect my spiritual food, I begin to grow weak when temptations arise. There is an unfulfilled hunger. And I become grouchy and revert to the personality of my natural self, which is neither attractive nor desirable. When this is the case, hopefully I will shift my focus to taking in the milk of God's Word and spending time with Him and not rest until I am successful.

Father, may I always hunger and thirst for Your Word and for fellowship with You, even more than I desire fried chicken, cornbread, ice cream, and even chocolate. May I realize that all the times we meet are my greatest serendipities. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment