Monday, October 25, 2010

Known

John 3:36a, "Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life....."

In the past six months I have become a part of two groups of people that few, if any, ever want to join. I have become a widow--what a sad word--and a person with cancer--what a scary word. God has very graciously answered my prayers and the prayers of many, many others on my behalf and has given me a very good prognosis, so I will probably be in the group known as Cancer Survivors for a long time.

As I grew up, I was known because of my parents. I was often called "the little Weeks girl from Scottsboro." When I married and moved to Decatur, my principle identity became that of the wife of John Eyster. Later others began to recognize me as the mother of my children, and many of my grandchildren's friends simply call me "Granny" as they do.

However, in spite of all these roles, the defining moment of my life took place when I was only seven years old. I had learned that God loved me and that Jesus wanted to live in my heart. I understood even at that tender age that I was a sinner. On some level, which I couldn't have articulated at the time, I realized that my parents were God's appointed authorities in my life, and when I rebelled against their authority I also rebelled against God's. I asked Jesus to come into my life and forgive my sins. He promised if we would ask, He would come, and He kept His promise. I have been God's child and walked with my Lord for 69 years. This is the primary role in my life. All the other roles and events are simply the background against which I am living my Christian life, or, as Paul said, "working out my salvation." I hope to be known first and foremost and always in terms of my relationship with My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and God Who is my Heavenly Father.

I hope each of you who read this have come, or will come, to that same crucial defining moment when you acknowledge your sinfulness and invite Jesus to live in your heart so you too can be forgiven and become a part of God's forever family.

No comments:

Post a Comment