Sunday, October 5, 2014

Offerings

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:1-2

In Leviticus God gave the Israelites laws including the ten commandments and instructions about various feast days and offerings which were to be made.  The whole Jewish sacrificial system pointed to Jesus and the sacrifice He made for the sins of everyone in the world when He died on the cross.  “Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people.  He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself. “  Hebrews 7:27
Many of the instructions God gave the Israelites in Leviticus applied to them at that time.  The ten commandments are still valid guidelines for us today, but the sacrifice Christ made on the cross has an eternal application for all people.  He gave himself so that those who choose to do so may take Him as Savior and become God’s children.  Because of what Jesus has done for us, we have forgiveness of sins, peace and power in this life, and a future home in heaven.  
Jesus has given Himself for us and to us.  Our appropriate response is for us to, in turn, give ourselves wholly to Him, placing everything we have and everything we are completely in His hands.  Christina Georgina Rossetti wrote:

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
Yet what I can I give Him: give my heart.

Have you given Him your heart?

Father, you gave your only Son for me.  Lord Jesus, Savior, you died a torturous, humiliating death for me.  Precious Holy Spirit, constant companion, you live in my heart and guide and empower and comfort me.  For all you, my God, have given me, I give you my heart.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment