Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Doing Good in Spite of Circumstances

I Peter 4:19,  "So then those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator AND CONTINUE TO DO GOOD."
I have not only read I Peter 4:19 several times on my way through the Bible, but I have taught the book of I Peter at Community Bible Study.  And yet when I ran across this verse in my quiet time this week, it was as though I had never seen it before.  God is telling us that, whatever our situation or circumstances might be--even if we are suffering a grief or an illness or some other kind of infirmity--God expects us to trust Him and do good to others at the same time.  No pity parties allowed!  In fact, our circumstances may form the perfect background from which we can minister to others more effectively.
When people see Christians reaching out in love in spite of their own sorrows or struggles, it makes a great impact.  I think of Eric Liddell and Corrie Ten Boom who ministered to their fellow prisoners in enemy concentration camps.  When Eric Liddell died in a prison camp, one of the guards who did not even speak English but  who had observed his unselfish acts of kindness, said, "He was a Christian, wasn't he?"
Father, may we be available to You 24/7/365 regardless of our own griefs or struggles.  May we trust You to take care of us, and may we be channels You can use to care for others.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment