Monday, June 10, 2013

In Remembrance

"Do this in remembrance of me."  Luke 22:19b



   As we grow older, we often begin to shift our focus.  When children, grandchildren, and perhaps even great grandchildren, come along, we are impressed with the continuity from one generation to another.  We see the tendencies common to all human beings and the experiences that are repeated in families of every generation.  We can also see great differences in the cultural and moral atmospheres as they change down through the ages.
     Many of us have a desire to positively influence the people whose lives we touch, inspiring them to live well.  We would like to leave a legacy for those coming behind us.  The words of the song title "May Those Who Come Behind Us Find Us Faithful" always cause my heart to stir with passion and determination.
   There have been many people who have left legacies that challenge and inspire us to live well.  Some are historical figures.  Certainly this includes people in the Bible, and, above all, Jesus Himself.  And others may be relatively obscure people we have known personally and, perhaps, intimately.  My mother, father, and husband were such people for me.  Think about some of those people in your life.  As I walk through my life, I want to live in such a way as to honor their memories.  I want to think if they can see me from heaven that they are pleased with the choices I am making and the things I am doing.  And I want to leave the kind of example and legacy for the children of successive generations that those who came before me have left for me.

Father, may those who come behind me find me faithful to You and Your Word.  May I influence them to leave a legacy of loving and serving You to their children and grandchildren.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment