Sunday, June 16, 2013

God's Words

Colossians 3:16a,  "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly...."

    It is interesting how God gives us a word from Him when we need it most.  And often it is something we had learned and stored up in our memory banks so that we are able to retrieve it and lean upon it when the occasion arises.  I so well remember that, when my mother died suddenly and unexpectedly, I had taught a lesson on death and heaven in Sunday School only a month before.  The words from that lesson echoed in my ears and gave me comfort.
    The Bible is, of course, the primary source of God words for us, but He often uses words from other people as well.  Little did I realize just how timely some words I read from Oswald Chambers would be for me this week, when I was suddenly and unexpectedly very sick.  These words are also timeless and fit us in all our circumstances.  Chambers wrote,  "It does not matter what my circumstances are, I can be as sure of abiding in Jesus in them as in a prayer meeting.  I have not to change and arrange my circumstances myself.  With Our Lord the inner abiding was unsullied; He was at home with God wherever His body was placed.  He never chose His own circumstances, but was meek towards His Father's dispensations for Him."  And, THERE IS NO CONDITION OF LIFE IN WHICH WE CANNOT ABIDE IN JESUS."
    It is also interesting that God gives us plenty of opportunities to practice what we are learning.  Not only did I need to abide in Jesus when I didn't feel well this week, but I had a different opportunity to practice abiding this morning.  Just as I had almost finished typing this devotional, my computer erased what I had written to add updates, and I had to retype it.  God wants us to practice what He teaches us so we can grow from godly thinking to godly living.

Father, thank You for all Your words for us.  May we store them in our minds for direction, take them into our hearts for comfort, and practice them in our lives daily.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment