Sunday, May 19, 2013

Packing for the Journey



Revelation 20:11a, "Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it." 
Revelation 21:1a, “Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth." 
Revelation 21:22, “I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple."

        One night I dreamed I was about to take a trip to investigate a crime.  I needed to leave quickly and to travel as lightly as possible.  I decided to take only the barest of essentials--two pairs of underwear and a toothbrush.
        I woke up wondering what essentials I should pack for the journey we all must take into eternity.  "Wait a minute," you might say.  "You know you can't take anything with you."  I know we can't take any material possessions, but there are certain intangibles that we might want to carry along.  The most essential one is our faith in Jesus Christ, because that will determine our destination. I want to take memories of people I have loved so much on earth, people who have preceded me to heaven, so I can anticipate our reunion when I arrive. 
I want to take my knowledge of Scripture so I will recognize and appreciate such people as Peter, Paul, and most of all, Jesus, when I see them.  I want my questions to go along so I can say, “Aha--so that's why that happened!" when I have new understanding and insight. 
I want to fill my suitcase with worship and praise and awe for the time I see Eternal, Almighty God high and lifted up on His throne in heaven.
And I want to take lots and lots of gratitude for God's goodness and mercy and loving kindness and for Jesus' death on the cross for me.  I want to take love and thankfulness to pour out in abundance to my Savior and my Heavenly Father.
        I want to travel lightly, so I keep emptying my suitcase of all the anger, bitterness, selfishness, hatred and all the other sinful attitudes I pick up during my sojourn on earth.  And I might need to leave quickly, so I want to stay packed up and ready to go at any time.

Father, please keep emptying the suitcase in my life of all unworthy and undesirable attitudes and sinful actions.  Instead, fill it with awe and gratitude and praise for You and for my Savior and with love and care for the people in my path.  May I be ready at all times to begin my journey into eternity.  Amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment