Monday, August 6, 2012

My Overflowing Cup


Psalm 23:5c,  "My cup runs over," or "My cup overflows."

      In David's day if a host kept his guest's cup full, it meant that the guest was still welcome, but when an empty cup was not refilled the host was hinting that it was time for the guest to go home.  If the cup was poured so full it overflowed, that symbolized that the host was thoroughly enjoying the guest, and the host very much wanted the guest to stay.  His company was greatly desired.
      God has filled my cup to overflowing over and over with so many good gifts.  He has lavished His love on me, given it in abundance, much more than enough, "a good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over."  I John 3:1a says, "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!  And that is what we are!"
      As I come to the Lord empty and needy, He fills my cup with rest and peace, with strength and endurance, wisdom and guidance, encouragement and love, mercy and grace.  Whatever I need, He gives me.
  All I can do in the face of such generosity is thank Him and praise Him for filling my cup to overflowing time and time again.  David felt the same way when he wrote these words in Psalm 9:1-2,  "I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders.  I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High."

Father, how I thank You and praise You today for Your goodness and Your generosity.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment