Monday, November 21, 2011

Defining Roles

When people are born, they are known not only by their names but also known by their connections to their parents and other family members. In school people are known mostly by characteristics or roles--he's football player, she's a cheerleader, she's a good student, he is President of the Student Council, etc. When we marry we are known as someone's wife or husband, and when we have children we are known as someone's mother or father. Many people are known for their vocations or for other things that they do. Almost everyone has various roles in life.

As important as my family roles are to me, there is one role which I want to define my life above all others, and that is Christian. I want to be known as a Christian first and foremost. I want to be a Christian mother, a Christian grandmother, a Christian friend. I don't want to be defined as a cancer survivor but as a Christian who so far has survived her battle with cancer. Whatever other roles I have or will have, I want to primarily be known for my faith in God and my service to Him.

I was delighted to read of this same desire in Friday's "Decatur Daily" article featuring local artists including Courtney Croxdale. The article opens with these words, "How would you define yourself? Courtney Croxdale uses the words 'Christian. Alabama native. Traveler. Adventurer. Artist. Designer.' Courtney added these words, "I don't consider myself a Christian artist, but Christian defines who I am and what I do. And what I do is art, so it is an extension of my faith."

How would you define yourself? What is the most important role in your life--your defining role? How do you think you are known? How do you want to be known?

Father, when people see me, I want them to think of You first of all. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment