Monday, August 15, 2011

Power Failure


Colossians 3:3, "Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now made perfect by the flesh?"

The electricity in my house was cut off for a day when a large tree fell across the power lines during the last windy storm. My house still looked the same on the outside. I could still sleep in my bed and sit in my chairs. My plumbing still worked. Parts of my house functioned as before. But I couldn't cook on my electric stove. Food began to thaw and melt in my refrigerator and freezer. My washing machine and dryer couldn't run, and my land line and cell phones were the only ones I could use. My house grew warmer and warmer. There was no television to watch and, worst of all, when night fell my house was so dark.

We can draw an analogy between electricity in a house and the Holy Spirit in a life. A person without the Holy Spirit may look good on the outside and may function well in certain areas. But when power is needed for things like loving someone who acts in unlovable ways or forgiving someone who has hurt you badly or exercising patience and faith in a very painful or difficult situation, the power is lacking. 

Sometimes the Holy Spirit is in a life but an act of sin, like that tree that fell across the power lines, short circuits the mighty power of the Holy Spirit in our lives and leaves us to operate only with our own limited resources. But if we confess and repent, God will forgive us and restore the Holy Spirit's power to us again. I John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness." And this restoration brings even greater joy and relief than having the electricity restored to a household!

Heavenly Father, thank You that You do not leave us to operate with only our human resources. Thank You that You have made available to us that tremendous power that raised Jesus from the dead and seated Him in heaven with You. Thank You that we do not need to have a spiritual power failure, and You have made provisions for restoration if we do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment