Monday, January 17, 2011

Showing Love in Communication

I Peter 3:8, "Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble."

I knew better, but I still allowed myself to be persuaded against my better judgment. My good friends, Rex and Mary Pou, had a gentle, well trained bull dog named Boots. When Boots Pou died at a ripe old age, my friends were very sad about their loss. Another friend of the Pous convinced me that we should surprise Rex and Mary with a puppy, which we did. The puppy was neither gentle nor well trained. He did all the things puppies usually do, including messing in the house, chewing on the furniture, and crying at night. After the puppy had spent a week in the Pou household, Rex and Mary found him a new home.

If we had communicated about a puppy to our friends before getting them one, we could have saved us all trouble and expense. We didn't know the Pous didn't want a puppy because we didn't ask. We just did what we thought was best for them We failed to communicate, and because of that we were ignorant of the thoughts, desires, and needs of our friends.

My husband John loved radios. I am not a radio listener. I am a reader, and my passion is books. One year shortly after we were married, John bought me a birthday present and presented it to me with such excitement I could hardly wait to open it. It was a radio. I was not the least bit excited. If we really want to minister to people we need to take the time and effort to listen and learn about their needs and desires rather than assuming they are the same as ours. Good communication is the oil in the gears of human relationships, making life with others much smoother and happier. Communicating well is a major way for us to show sincere love.

Father, help me to take the time and effort to see into the hearts and needs and desires of those I love so I can minister to them most effectively. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment