Monday, January 31, 2011

Always With Us

Matt. 28:20b, "And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age." New Living Translation

After my fourth round of chemotherapy I had a CT scan and a PET scan. Having these scans is an intimidating experience. I was lying on my back on a metal bed which was fed into one scary machine and through another even more frightening machine. No one else was in the room during the procedure, and I felt helpless and alone. The operator of the machines was in an adjoining room. He could see me and could hear me because there was a microphone built into the machines.

This situation reminded me of prayer. Life has some intimidating circumstances. Sometimes we find ourselves in places that frighten us. We feel helpless and all alone. But God, like the operator of the machines, is not only present, but He is also in control. Even if we can't see Him, He always sees us and can hear us when we cry out for help.

The Christmas message of Emmanuel--God With Us--comes to bless us in such situations because God is always with us wherever we are. He has given us His promise that He will never leave us and will never forsake us. I was never really alone in the room with the machines. God Himself was there.

Dear God, thank You for always being with us wherever we are. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment