Sunday, May 2, 2010

Acts of Kindness

II Cor. 1:3-4, "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God."


I am in many ways a private person, and I thought that when my husband died I would want to crawl into a quiet, dark hole and cover up the opening. But I have found my reaction to be just the opposite. I have been overwhelmed by the multitude of kindnesses that so many people have showered on me and my family. Many came to the funeral service; some brought food; some sent flowers; some sent beautiful, meaningful cards or wrote heart felt personal notes; some called; some visited; some did practical things that were needed. And each outpouring of love has been like a little stream of comfort and healing to my raw heart. I have treasured and cherished every single one, turning toward them like a sunflower turns its face toward the sun to absorb its warmth.


What has helped the most? Everything. And I am resolved to do more of these thoughtful acts for others, because there are always many hurting people around each of us. We are one of Christ's primary means of showing comfort and giving encouragement to one another. A little kindness goes a long way to lift our hearts and brighten our day.


Father, thank You so much for the kindness and comfort which You have shown me through Your children. May I seek ways to comfort others. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment