Sunday, April 24, 2016

Matthew 5:17-48


“But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8


I wouldn’t blame you if you skipped this page. I didn’t even want to write it, much less do it. Love my enemies, God? I don’t think so. I don’t want to. Actually, what I want is revenge. And yet, where would I be today if You had felt that way toward me? I would still be a helpless, hopeless, lost sinner, an enemy of Yours. Thank You for loving and saving me.

We often use the term “sanctity of life” to express opposition to abortion, but it has a much broader meaning than that. It means showing appreciation and respect for every person because each man, woman, boy, and girl is created in the image of God. It means considering the life of each person to be valuable, unlike people in some cultures who consider human life to be expendable. The acts of terrorism perpetrated by human bombs underline that attitude. All people are of great value to God, so we should value everyone greatly as well. To defame, to disrespect, another person in thought or speech is to make light of the image of God in which every person has been created.

Matthew 5:43-45a says, “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven.” This is certainly the opposite of the way the world and human nature think about enemies. It is absolutely impossible for me to love my enemies with my human resources, and God knew that before I was born. That’s why He tells us in Romans 5:5 that His love has been poured into our hearts by the Holy Spirit who has been given to us, so God will love others, even our enemies, through us with His love if we are willing to be channels and allow Him to do that.

A soldier was amazed to hear General Robert E. Lee speak about a fellow officer in complimentary terms. He said, “General, don’t you know that the man you so highly praised is one of your worst enemies, and that he misses no opportunity to slander you?” “Yes, I know”, replied the General, “but I was asked for my opinion of him, not his opinion of me.”

God wants us to seek ways to relate redemptively to all people. Even our enemies need to know Christ. Many evil people have changed when they became Christians. The best way to get rid of an enemy is to make him a friend--and help him become a brother in Christ.

Father, may I remember that You love all people and may I allow You to show them Your love through me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment