Sunday, November 15, 2015

What brings you joy?


The coming of Jesus into the world is an event which brings us joy deep within our hearts. Jesus told His disciples,  "I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.” (John 15:11) What did Jesus tell His disciples that brought them such joy? The verses that precede John 15:11 answer our question. They say,  "As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and remain in His love." (John 15:9-10)  This is great good news--the omnipotent God who created and sustains this vast universe loves us. These words of Jesus are for us as well as for His disciples.
Not only do we rejoice and worship and praise God, but we pass the wonder of it all on to others. Paul said to Philemon, "Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the Lord's people." (Philemon 1:7) Is there someone who needs your encouragement today?
We walk in obedience to God's commands because He loves us and we love Him. John wrote in 2 John 1:4, "It has given me great joy to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as the Father commanded us.”
The book of Jude closes with a beautiful doxology of praise which stems from the joy Jesus gives to those who are His. May it lead us in our worship of the Lord today.

Jude 1:24-25, "To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy--to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power, and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore.  Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment