Sunday, September 30, 2012

Christlikeness



      I was reading through the Bible again in my One Year Bible when I came across a passage of Scripture with a date and three stars drawn beside it.  This was a notation to me that these verses had been of great importance at some time in my life.  I don't remember the incident that coincides with the date beside the verses, but there have been many occasions when I have needed to apply this passage of Scripture.  As I read the verses in Ephesians 4:2-3 again, I realized that they describe what, for me, is the essence of a Christlike spirit.

  These verses say,  "Be humble and gentle.  Be patient with each other, making allowances for each other's faults because of your love.  Always keep yourselves united in the Holy Spirit, and bind yourselves together with peace."

      God has created each one of us with a special set of strengths and weaknesses.  It is human nature to want to point out the sins and shortcomings of others with glee and crow over them, bringing them up often and repeating them loudly for others to hear.  But that's just the opposite of Christlikeness.  The Bible tells us that the qualities that please God are kindness, compassion, forgiveness, and love. 

Proverbs 10:12,  "Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs."  Proverbs 17:9,  "He who covers over an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends."  I Peter 4:8, "Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins."  Ephesians 4:32,  "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."  I Thessalonians 5:15a,  "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up."

      Our gifts and aptitudes balance the weaknesses of others, and their gifts and aptitudes fill in where we are weak.  This is one reason that people with opposite personalities attract each other so often.  God made us that way on purpose so we would need to depend upon each other and would be most effective as we work together.  As my pastor Mat says,  "Everybody has a seat on the bus."

Father, may I remember that You have made each person for a special purpose in Your plans.  Each individual is valuable, and each one has an important and unique place.  May I always treat others with kindness, compassion, forgiveness, and love, as You have treated me. 
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment