Monday, December 12, 2011

Peace

Ephesians 2:14a, "For he himself is our peace."

Every year the Himebook family comes sometime during the Christmas season to celebrate the birth of Christ with me. Each year our time together is structured a little differently, although there have evolved traditional aspects of the visit as well. For many years the whole family of six has come. The three boys are now grown and are working. One is married and living in another state. This year only Ruth, Terry, and their daughter Mary Love, my namesake, were available to make the trip. Some years I invite members of my family to join in the celebration, and we become a noisy, happy throng. This year, though, just the four of us had a quiet supper. Then we talked and visited long into the night, sharing more deeply than usual in the peace and serenity of my home. I have enjoyed all of our visits together--each one has been special--but this last one was one of the best visits ever.

My brother, Morgan, and his family used to come visit me and my family on Christmas Eve. I would cook and serve an elaborate dinner. Then one time Morgan told me he wanted to just spend time with me without my being distracted and busy with a major production. Suddenly I remembered two sisters named Mary and Martha.

When my grandchildren and great grandchildren come to visit, they don't need to be entertained elaborately. They just want to hang out with me. I think our Heavenly Father is pleased when we just want to hang out with Him and share our selves more deeply.

Father, in the hustle and bustle and fun of the Christmas season, may I find times of quiet, of serenity, to draw apart, hang out with You awhile, and share my heart more deeply with You. Thank You for sending us the Prince of Peace so we can have inner tranquility through all the events of our lives. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment