Monday, June 6, 2011

God's plan?

Matthew 14:28-29a, "'Lord, if it's you,' Peter replied, 'tell me to come to you on the water.' 'Come,' he said."

When Peter saw Jesus walking on the stormy sea, he asked Jesus' permission to join Him. Why didn't impulsive Peter just jump out of the boat and head toward Jesus? That would have been in character for him. But, before Peter got out of the boat, he was wise enough to be sure Jesus thought that was a good idea. We all need to discern, as Peter did, whether our intentions fit into God's plans or whether they are just foolish impulses on our part.

Have you ever quickly made decisions without praying about them and then, with trepidation, asked God to bless your plans? The statement, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission," is not found in the Bible. God wants to submit His plans to us for our obedience, not have us submit our plans to Him hoping for His approval. We are to seek His permission, as Peter did, before we act rather than after the fact.

Father, may I follow Your plans and Your direction for my life rather than asking You to bless my plans and taking off in different directions without consulting You. You are the Lord of my life. My I be careful to submit to Your lordship at all times. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment