Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Message of Easter

I Peter 5:4, "And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away."

Cross bearing precedes crown wearing. I don't know who said it first, but I have pondered this saying from time to time. Cross bearing precedes crown wearing. We are instructed to deny ourselves, take up our crosses and follow Jesus. One of our hymns tells us, "There's a cross for everyone, and there's a cross for me."

We shrink from times of cross bearing, from pain and sorrow. So did our Lord. In the Garden of Gethsemane He asked His Father to let Him bypass the cup of suffering on the cross if it could be within the Father's will. Then Jesus said those submissive words quoted in Luke 22:45b, "Yet not my will, but Yours be done."

Scripture tells us that we must drink our full cup of suffering too. We are expected to fulfill the whole of God's plan for our lives on earth. Then we can say with Paul, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me a crown of righteousness....." II Timothy 4:7-8a.

I imagine while Jesus hung on the cross He was looking with great anticipation toward His return to heaven. While men were doing everything possible to shame Him, He knew His glory would soon burst forth in all its splendor and majesty. He said in John 17:24a, "Father, I want those You have given Me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory....." One day we will behold Him with our own eyes in all His glory and beauty. More than that, one day we shall share that glory, not because we deserve it but because of the cross and God's love. II Corinthians 4:17 assures us, "For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all." And Romans 8:18 gives us these words from Paul, "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us."

Cross bearing precedes crown wearing. Because Jesus lives, we too shall be crowned with heaven's glory, recipients of God's goodness, mercy, grace and generosity. What a blessed hope! This is the message of Easter.
Lord Jesus, thank You for your death on the cross for us. Father, thank You for bringing Jesus back to life and restoring to Him the glory that was His in heaven. Thank You that one day we shall see our Lord face to face and share all the wonders of heaven with Him. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment