Monday, November 1, 2010

Over Seeding

Psalm 92:12-14, "The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon; planted in the house of the Lord, they will flourish in the courts of our God. They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green."

In the spring and in the fall someone from a lawn maintenance service comes to my house and over seeds the grassy areas of my yard. The grass that is already growing there has rooted well and has survived the hot, dry, scorching summer weather and the cold, driving winter rains. Some of these veteran plants will die out each season, however, and vigorous growth from the new seeds is needed to maintain a healthy, lush lawn.

I too have weathered both difficult, dry seasons of life and torrents of sad, wearying adversity. My roots go down deep in my Lord, but I also need the over seeding process from time to time for new growth and insights to come and faith to deepen. That's why God keeps giving me new challenges and opportunities and tests. He also puts new people into my life as part of His over seeding process.

We discovered in Community Bible Study that there were advantages in mixing the older women with the younger ones. The younger ones profited from, and were encouraged by, the wisdom and experiences of their elders. The older women gained new perspectives, updated knowledge, and fresh growth from the younger ones. In so many ways the mixture of young and new with old and seasoned keeps our lives full and vibrant. How wise and good God is as He continues to over seed our lives with new people and new experiences all along the way.

Father, thank You for the young people who teach me so much and who stretch my horizons. May I always have a teachable spirit and be open to whatever You have for my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment